Unit of packaging
Orius insidiosus (predatory bug)
Pack size: 100 ml bottle
Contains: 1,000 adults and nymphs mixed with vermiculite
Various species of thrips (larvae and adults). In the absence of thrips Orius can also survive on aphids, spider mite, butterfly eggs and pollen.
The pieces of information given below are merely indicative. Tailored advice can be provided if information is available on the local factors that need to be taken into account, such as the crop, the climate conditions and the level of infestation. For the correct approach, you should always consult a Koppert specialist or a recognised distributor of Koppert products.
once only in crops with pollen
introduce in infested areas only
- Turn and shake bottle gently before use
- Spread material on clean rockwool slab, leaves and/or in application boxes (DIBOX)
- In groups of 75-100 insects to encourage mating to be able to check on reproduction
- Make sure the material remains at its introduction site for a few days
Storage and handling
Biological beneficials have a very short life expectancy and therefore need to be introduced into the crop as soon as possible after receipt. Storing them for a period can have a negative impact on their quality and is only possible under the conditions described below. Koppert B.V. is not liable for any loss of quality if the product is stored for longer than recommended and/or under incorrect conditions.
- Storage after receipt: 1-2 days
- Storage temperature: 8-10°C/47-50°F
- In the dark (bottles horizontally)
Orius lays a large proportion of its eggs in (side) shoots. Avoid unnecessary loss of these eggs by introducing THRIPOR directly after removing side shoots.
- Adults: black with grey/white/brown sections on wings, 1.6-1.9 mm
- Eggs: hardly visible, embedded in leaf tissue
- Young nymphs: yellow
- Older nymphs: yellowish-brown
Mode of action
Adults and nymphs pierce thrips larvae and adults with their sucking mouthparts and suck out the contents.
Thrips shrivel after being eaten by Orius, and are therefore difficult to see in the crop.
Only use products that are permitted in your country/state and crop. Check local registration requirements.
Koppert Biological Systems can not be held liable for unauthorized use.