Sportnem-H can be used for biological control of chafer grubs in lawns.
- Beetles (Coleoptera):
- Weevils (Curculionidae): Black vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) and other Otiorhynchus spp.
- White grubs (Scarabaeidae): European chafer (Amphimallon majale); Summer chafer/June beetle (Amphimallon solstitialis); Amphimallon aestivus; Common cockchafer (Melolontha melolontha); Common garden chafer (Phyllopertha horticola); Phyllophaga spp.; Welsh chafer (Hoplia philanthus) and other Hoplia spp.; Japanese beetle (Popilia japonica); Oriental beetle (Anomala orientalis); Asiatic garden beetle (Autoserica castanea); Dune chafer (Anomala dubia); Brown chafer (Serica brunnea); Anoxia villosa
- Dung beetles (Aphodius spp.)
How it works
Mode of action
The nematodes enter the pest and release symbiotic bacteria into the pest's body cavity. These bacteria convert the host tissue into a food source, on which nematodes feed, develop, and reproduce inside the host. This kills the pest within a few hours to days after infection.
Infected pest insects in the root zone turn red to brown but may be difficult to find, due to rapid degradation.
|Pack size||2,500 million – 10 sachets of 250 million in a box.|
|Developmental stage||Infective third-stage larvae (L3).|
|Concentration||86% Heterorhabditis bacteriophora – 14% inert carrier.|
Directions for use
- Remove the sachets from the box and keep them at room temperature for 30 minutes
- Empty the contents of the sachets into a bucket containing at least 2 litres of water per sachet (water temperature: 15-20°C/59-68°F
- Stir well and leave the contents to soak for five minutes
- Stir again and pour the contents of the bucket into the half-filled spray tank (except when tank mixing with a compatible product)
- Maintain agitation of mixture in the tank (e.g. with a recirculation pump)
- Fill the spray tank with the required amount of water
- If tank mixing with a compatible product, add Sportnem-H at the end to a fully filled tank
- Apply directly after preparation of spray solution
- Nematodes can be applied using a watering can, an airblast sprayer, through a sprinkler system, with a backpack sprayer, or a vehicle-mounted spray unit
- To avoid blockage, all filters should be removed, especially if finer than 0.3 mm (50 mesh)
- Use a maximum pressure of 20 bar/290 psi (on nozzle)
- The spray nozzle opening should be at least 0.5 mm (500 microns – 35 mesh) - preferably high flow rate cone nozzle types
- Continuous mixing should take place to prevent nematodes sinking to the bottom of the spray tank
- Avoid sprayers equipped with centrifugal or piston pumps
- Water tank temperature must not exceed 25°C (77°F) and pH must be between 4 to 8
- Distribute the spraying solution evenly over the soil/media surface
- Spray the solution as soon as it is prepared and within a short timeframe (5 hours). Do not store mixed suspensions
Sportnem-H is typically applied at a rate of 2.5 billion nematodes per hectare. In general, two applications are required.
Timing and frequency depend on the pest species and the crop environment (relative humidity and temperature). Consult a Koppert advisor or a recognized distributor of Koppert products for advice on the best strategy for your situation.
- Heterorhabditis bacteriophora performs best at temperatures between 19-33°C/66-91°F
- Soil temperature below 5°C/41°F and above 35°C/95°F can be lethal
- Nematodes are susceptible to ultraviolet light (UV): do not use them in direct sunlight
- The moisture content of the soil must be kept high for several days after application. When possible, irrigate the crop before and right after application
- Adding an adjuvant and/or an anti-desiccant/humectant can be beneficial. Ask your Koppert representative/distributor for more information
- Spray in the evening (or morning in some cases) allowing nematodes to work for several hours within the optimal range of temperature and humidity, as described above
Side Effects & Compatibility
- Pesticides can have (in)direct effects on biological solutions
- As a general rule for tank mixing, always add the nematodes to a fully filled tank containing the compatible product
- The product is safe for most beneficial insects and mites, but can have some effect on a few when in direct contact with foliar applied nematodes
Check the Koppert side effects database or contact your local representative for advice.
Storage time after receipt
See expiry date on the box. On average product can be stored for 6 weeks.
Refrigerate at a temperature of 2-6°C/35-43°F in a ventilated refrigerator/cold room.
Upon receipt, take boxes out of the insulating shipment packaging. Keep in a dark, ventilated refrigerator/cold room until use.
"The general conditions of Koppert (Koppert B.V. and/or of its affiliated companies) apply. Only use products that are permitted in your country/state and crop. Check local registration requirements. Koppert cannot be held liable for unauthorized use. Koppert is not liable for any loss of quality if the product is stored for longer than recommended and/or under incorrect conditions."