Use Tripol for:
Pollination of open field crops
One hive with three colonies of bumblebees including a queen, 350-400 workers, brood (pupae, eggs and larvae) and sugar water
When to use Tripol?
Tripol pollination hives (containing three bumblebee colonies) are especially developed for open-field crops. Tripol is weather-proof, and the excellent insulation and ventilation allow the bees to perform even better.
Each colony has a Beehome door, which keeps the bumblebees inside the hive upon their return until the door is reopened. After closing the hive with this door, necessary crop protection measures can be applied or the hive can be moved to a new location for the pollination of a different crop. Tripol can be used before the crop flowers and guarantees a pollination period of at least four weeks.
How does Tripol work?
After their release, worker bumblebees start pollinating the crop. They are supported by more workers born in the weeks after their introduction.
How to use Tripol
Tripol colonies can be released 4-7 days before the crop flowers. This does not have any negative effect on the colonies or their pollination capacity.
- Place the Tripol hives evenly in the field. The best position is on a horizontal platform just above the ground.
- Wait at least for half an hour after placing the hives before opening the flight holes. This allows the bumblebee colonies to calm down.
- Protect the hives from direct sunlight and rain, and weigh down the hive with a stone, for example, to prevent it from blowing away.
- Open the ventilation holes on top of the hive during warm weather.
- Pull the white sliding door of each hive upward until two openings become visible (entrance and exit). Do not remove the small black door under the lid.
Best working conditions Tripol
Tripol performs best at ambient temperatures of between 10-30°C
- Every hive contains food in order to keep the bumblebees in good condition during transport and storage.
- To guarantee the best pollination results, start using the hive on the day of arrival.
- Start using the hive no later than one day after arrival.
- Maintain the bumblebees at a temperature of between 15 – 25°C.
- Avoid direct sunlight on the hive.
Special points of attention
- Make sure the hives and the entrances are well visible, so the bumblebees can easily find their way home.
- Do not tilt the hive to prevent sugar water from leaking.
- In case Tripol has to be moved to another location it is important that all bumblebees have returned to the hive. Press the white sliding door down until one of the two openings is closed. Now, the bumblebees cannot fly out anymore. After two hours all bumblebees have returned and you can close the white sliding door completely. Place the Tripol on the new location and let the bumblebees calm down for at least half an hour.
- Only use products that are permitted in your country/state and crop. Check local registration requirements.
- Koppert Biological Systems can not be held liable for unauthorized use.
- Koppert B.V. is not liable for any loss of quality if the product is stored for longer than recommended and/or under incorrect conditions.