Capirel can be used for biological control of various pests in orchards and outdoor vegetables. It is effective at low temperatures, thus can also be applied in colder parts of the season.
- Caterpillars (Lepidoptera): Codling moth (Cydia pomonella); Oriental fruit moth (Cydia molesta); Plum fruit moth (Cydia funebrana); Summer fruit tortrix (Adoxophyes orana); Red-belted clearwing (Synanthedon myopaeformis)
- Beetle larvae (Coleoptera): Common asparagus beetle (Crioceris asparagi)
How it works
Mode of action
The nematodes enter the pest and release symbiotic bacteria into the pest's body cavity. These bacteria convert the host tissue into a food source, on which nematodes feed, develop, and reproduce inside the host. This kills the pest within a few hours to days after infection.
Infected pest insects in the root zone turn yellow to brown but may be difficult to find, due to rapid degradation. Infected foliar pests simply fall to the ground.
|Pack size||1,500 million – 6 sachets of 250 million in a box.|
|Developmental stage||Infective third-stage larvae (L3).|
|Concentration||86% Steinernema feltiae – 14% inert biodegradable carrier.|
Directions for use
- Remove the sachets from the box and keep them at room temperature for 30 minutes
- Empty the contents of the sachets into a bucket containing at least 2 litres of water per sachet (water temperature: 15-20°C/59-68°F)
- Stir well and leave the contents to soak for five minutes
- Stir again and pour the contents of the bucket into the half-filled spray tank (except when tank mixing with a compatible product)
- Maintain agitation of mixture in the tank (e.g. with a recirculation pump)
- Fill the spray tank with the required amount of water
- If tank mixing with a compatible product, add Capirel at the end to a fully filled tank
- Apply directly after preparation of spray solution
- Nematodes can be applied using a watering can, an airblast sprayer, through a sprinkler system, with a backpack sprayer, or a vehicle-mounted spray unit
- To avoid blockage, all filters should be removed, especially if finer than 0.3 mm (50 mesh)
- Use a maximum pressure of 20 bar/290 psi (on nozzle)
- The spray nozzle opening should be at least 0.5 mm (500 microns – 35 mesh) - preferably high flow rate cone nozzle types
- Continuous mixing should take place to prevent nematodes sinking to the bottom of the spray tank
- Avoid sprayers equipped with centrifugal or piston pumps
- Water tank temperature must not exceed 25°C/77°F and pH must be between 4 and 8
- Distribute the spraying solution evenly over the soil/medium surface
Application through irrigation systems:
- Pressure-compensated irrigation systems are recommended. If not available, spray or drench applications are recommended. For injection through Dosatron/Venturi systems, please contact your local Koppert representative for specific advice
- Spray the solution as soon as it is prepared and within a short timeframe (5 hours). Do not store mixed suspensions
Capirel is typically applied at a rate of 1.5 billion nematodes per hectare (0.6 billion/acre). For orchard pests use 1,000 to 1,500 litres of water per hectare (100 to 160 gallons/acre). For common asparagus beetle use 500 litres of mixture per hectare (54 gallons/acre).
Timing and frequency depend on the pest species and the crop environment (relative humidity, soil moisture and temperature). Consult a Koppert advisor or a recognized distributor of Koppert products for advice on the best strategy for your situation.
- Steinernema feltiae performs best at temperatures between 14-26°C/57-79°F
- Soil or air temperature below 5°C/41°F and above 35°C/95°F can be lethal
- Nematodes are susceptible to ultraviolet light (UV): do not use them in direct sunlight
- The moisture content of the soil must be kept high for several days after application. When possible, irrigate the crop before and right after application
- For foliar application, spray Capirel when relative humidity will exceed 75% for several hours after the treatment
- Adding an adjuvant and/or an anti-desiccant/humectant can be beneficial. Ask your Koppert representative/distributor for more information
- Spray in the evening (or morning in some cases) allowing nematodes to work for several hours within the optimal range of temperature and humidity, as described above
- The product is safe for most beneficial insects and mites, but can have some effect on a few when in direct contact with foliar applied nematodes. Find out the side effects of this product on beneficial insects and mites
- As a general rule for tank mixing, always add the nematodes to a fully filled tank containing the compatible producted above
Find out which pesticides have side effects on this product
Storage time after receipt
See expiry date on the box. On average product can be stored for 2-3 months.
Refrigerate at a temperature of 2-6°C/35-43°F in a ventilated refrigerator/cold room.
Upon receipt, take boxes out of the insulating shipment packaging. Keep in a dark, ventilated refrigerator/cold room until use.
"The general conditions of Koppert (Koppert B.V. and/or of its affiliated companies) apply. Only use products that are permitted in your country/state and crop. Check local registration requirements. Koppert cannot be held liable for unauthorized use. Koppert is not liable for any loss of quality if the product is stored for longer than recommended and/or under incorrect conditions."